A doula’s role will vary, taking into consideration each family’s unique wishes and needs.
Motherhood is a major life transition. I provide specialized care to ensure mothers cope well, receive enough rest, eat nutritious meals and develop confidence in her abilities to care for her baby.
I can provide you with support if you are nursing. I am a mother who has breast fed my own children and have completed courses in the field.
I want every family member to feel part of the new experiences so I give extra attention to siblings. I will take them for a walk, play games or care for the new baby so the parents can spend some one-on-one time with the other children.
Labour & Birth:
I can teach different breathing techniques that have been proven to help women to handle their labour Ina more relaxed and focused manner, at the same time helping your partner with different support techniques as well. I will give you evident based information so you can make sound choices for your birth preferences.
Teaching Baby Massage:
I can show you different light touch techniques for you and your baby. This will help promote a healthy baby, helps to reduce gassiness, colic, and increases the bond between parent and baby.
Ask me about my gift certificates.
A doula’s role will vary from family to family, taking into consideration each family’s unique desires, wishes and needs.
Why have a water birth?
- Increased chance of an empowering and satisfying birth experience.
- Less pain in labour.
- Possible shorter labour.
- May decrease vaginal tear rate.
- Potentially a higher physiological (normal) birth rate.
- Contractions can also feel shorter and less intense in the warm, soothing water,
- Can create a more relaxed atmosphere for birthing.
I have a birthing pool available to rent for $180. Please contact me for booking.
Why use a TENS machine?
The electrical impulses can reduce the pain signals going to the spinal cord and brain, which may help relieve pain and relax muscles. They may also stimulate the production of endorphins, which are the body’s natural painkillers.
Advantages for TENS in labour
- It doesn’t require medicines or injections.
- It may give you some control over pain relief.
- You are able to move about.
- You can use other methods if TENS does not give you enough pain relief.
- There is no harm to you or your baby.
- It can be used at home during early labour.
I have a TENS machine available to rent for $50. Please contact me for booking.
Private Prenatal classes
Are prenatal classes necessary?
Especially if this is your first baby, you may be feeling some uneasiness when you think about delivering your baby. Prenatal classes can help give you confidence and coping techniques as birth approaches.
What will prenatal classes teach me?
Topics that are covered include:
- Healthy pregnancy
- Mental health during and after pregnancy
- Family and social supports
- Understanding labour and delivery
- How to navigate the hospital or birthing center once you arrive
- What sorts of medical interventions you might experience/choose
- Relaxation and pain-relief techniques (massage, breathing, warm water)
- Hypnobirthing techniques
- Birthing positions
- Options for pain relief
- How to prepare a birth preference sheet
- Postpartum care
- Caring for a newborn
Interested in Private Prenatal Classes in the Okanagan? Contact me for more details.